Tuesday, January 21, 2014

What kind of legacy will you leave?

During my pregnancy, I would lie awake at night (when the baby was most active or hiccuping), mulling over ideas for my baby's newborn photos. What memories do I want to have captured? What kind of legacy do I want to leave? 

Years from now, what images do I want her to look back on as an adult? What photographs do I want her to show her grandchildren? I knew I wanted photos with my husband and myself, but I also wanted her in the frame with my parents. It's not often enough that the youngest and the oldest members of the family are captured together. It gives me chills thinking about the time that spans their respective lives - all the things that have been, and all the things that remain to be seen.

I also thought of this sweater.

My grandmother had knitted it especially for my dad for his birthday, many, many moons ago, with a pattern that was specific to her family's home in Ireland.  Legend has it that it helped bring home those who met their fate at sea and washed ashore wearing their "identity" in the sweater's pattern.

I asked my dad to bring the sweater along to her photo session with my photography friends (and mentors) Tamara & Danielle (Bump Meet Baby Studios). Patiently, these master baby "ninjas" posed her and soothed her back to sleep, and I was able to snap these images before she woke up. (As an aside, I felt a bit guilty for asking my dad to wear this thick sweater in a sweltering newborn studio... but, I think he would agree that it was worth it.)

This is our family heritage:  Her great-grandmother who painstakingly crafted this sweater (and many others like it), her great-grandfather who gave the world's best hugs, her namesake (grandmother), her look-alike (grandfather) and all her guardian angels. All people she will sadly never meet on this Earth - but we have the stories (oh... the stories!) and the old photographs to look back on. 

And today, she has her grandparents and so many family members who love her and hold her dear. 

Only now can she be this tiny and can take a nap in the crook of your elbow or the nook of your neck.  




1 comment: