Tuesday, May 29, 2012

And the winner is.. the iPhone camera

Week 4 of the Photo A Day photojournalism class at the Charleston Center for Photography, taught by Alice Keeney. 

It has been said that the best camera is the one that is with you. I put that to the test this week by using my iPhone. I deleted most of what was captured, but I was able to get these two pictures (edited only with the "Camera +" app). It so happened that the iPhone camera images had stronger compositions than ones I took with my Canon SLR this week! This one was taken while I was waiting for the bus one morning. I thought the reflection was cool and the texture of the gravel would make a nice contrast in sepia.
  The next one was taken also while waiting for the bus. I was first only going to take a shot of the bus shelter because I liked the repetition in the windows. Then the three women momentarily separated into individual "frames" or compartments and I hit the shutter. Capturing groups of three similar subjects is supposed to be more pleasing to the eye.

Another way to find repetition and pull a composition together is to find things with similar colors and shapes.






No comments:

Post a Comment