Saturday, May 12, 2012

My Other Hats: Science Geek & Ballet Teacher

I have worked in the cancer research field for over a decade. My data recording methods have always involved some form of photography; from microscopy of fluorescing cells to 3D MRI image stacks to pancreatic tumors that glow like fireflies. My job has always involved generating the best captivating image of my observations. In many ways, scientific technique is an art form (ask any scientist who has developed autoradiography film in a dark room and they will concur).

Besides photography, my major artistic outlet has been ballet. I started out as a dance and biology double-major in college. By the time I finished my degree, and reality set in, I was a biology major with a dance hobby.  I still dance, but just once a week as an instructor for an introductory ballet class for adults. Since this is the only ballet class at this particular facility, we have students from all experience levels.  Some have danced since they were itty bitty, and some have never taken a single dance class in their lives.  These brand new students often share their self-doubt and foolish feelings from trying ballet as an adult. "How can I stand here next to these ballerinas and look half as graceful?" they would tell me. My response would be, "Watch. Learn. Then, be patient with yourself."  These things take time and commitment.

Learning a new art is so much like learning how to walk for the first time. It takes time to build your strength, lots of perseverance and, unfortunately, a lot of falling flat on your butt.

I can empathize with these students when I compare myself to other photographers. Indeed, how can I stand here next to these amazing artists and perform half as gracefully?
Then I can take my own advice... which is sometimes the hardest pill to swallow:

Watch, learn and be patient with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment