Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Photo A Day - Week 2

This was my favorite photo for the week.  The spot-lit ballerina is my oldest daughter, Avery, who is very proud of how long she can stand on one leg. I was pleased that she was positioned under the light. The exposure was lightened to appear that she was under a spotlight. I also used a "leading line" and repetition of the dancers' feet and legs to (hopefully) bring the viewer's eye to the subject.



Per the advice of my instructor, I tried to keep the subjects simple. So, what simpler subject than my daughter's curls? I wish I could have gotten more of her face in this one.



The one below is from the end of class when the girls await their hand stamps. They can only get their hands stamped if they are seated with their hands on their heads. This was the only time they were actually sitting still! I call this one "Bras de Quatre" (Arms of Four, a play on Pas de Quatre from the ballet, Swan Lake):
I'm not sure why I like this one so much. I can identify with the girl with her head up. It's a trust thing...
Okay, so here is my first attempt at "2nd curtain" (a setting on my camera that tells the flash to wait until the shutter closes. When used with a long exposure, you get a ghosting effect behind the person (if they are moving forward).   Notice the blur behind my daughter, Logan (far left) and above the two girls in front (who are moving down during the exposure). I think it's hilarious that Avery (back row) did not move at all during this shot. Not my favorite image, but different.


This one gives me hope that cool shots are actually possible with a long exposure:

I love this one. She is mugging in the mirror. I entitled this one "Feeling Beautiful."




Here are a few shots I took of my kids on Mother's Day. (My camera does take color photographs!) Avery is perplexed as to why Logan won't hug her. Logan is mad that she stole her mermaid crown and equally perplexed as to why a hug would be appropriate.









No comments:

Post a Comment